“Rebirth”; following the Middle Ages, a movement that centered on the revival of interest in the classical learning of Greece and Rome; shift in focus from groups to individuals
A philosophy that focused on human potential and achievements; did not abandon belief in God, but led to the false idea that man is good and that he is independent of or superior to God
The liberal arts; the study of history, science, and grammar, as well as classical literature and philosophy
To develop well rounded individuals (educational goal)
What was the goal of Renaissance education?
Classical age of Greece and Rome
What period of history did the Renaissance humanists admire?
Where did the Renaissance begin?
They commissioned talented artists to design buildings, decorate churches, and carve statues
When increased trade brought revived wealth to Italian cities, how did these cities display their newly acquired wealth?
affluent bankers and merchants
Who became the patrons of these artists?
Sponsors of artists
the Medici family
In addition to the Roman Church, what family became the most famous patron (sponsor) of Renaissance learning and art?
Lorenzo de Medici
Who was the most notable and most generous patron of the Medici family?
Il Magnifico (“The Magnificent”)
Nickname for Lorenzo de Medici
city of Florence
Birthplace of the Renaissance; home of the powerful Medici
Italian Humanist writers
Which writers looked to the literature of ancient Greece and Rome for inspiration?
1. Francesco Petrarch
2. Baldassarre Castiglione
3. Niccolo Machiavelli
Name the Italian Humanist writers.
– Father of Humanism
– Loved poetry and the classical writings of Greece and Rome
– Wrote books on etiquette (social behavior)
– Wrote “The Courtier” which describes the ideal Renaissance gentleman.
– Wrote several important works on government.
– Wrote “The Prince” which tells readers that the successful ruler uses forces when necessary since “it is much safer to be feared than loved.”
Northern Humanist writers
Which writers had a greater interest in religious matters and gave more attention to Christian sources (the Bible) than to classical sources?
1. Desiderius Erasmus
2. Sir Thomas More
3. Miguel de Cervantes
4. William Shakespeare
Name the Northern Humanist writers.
– Most honored and influential scholar of the Renaissance
– Wrote “In Praise of Folly” where he uses satire against society
– Became a leading advocate of church reform, yet he refused to break with the Roman Catholic Church
– Became the first to publish a Greek New Testament
Sir Thomas More
– Wrote “Utopia” which is about his vision of an ideal society in which people live in peace and harmony
– Devoted much of his life to serving his country (England)
Miguel de Cervantes
Spanish writer best remembered for “Don Quixote” which satirizes chivalry and chivalric literature
– Greatest playwright of all time
– Born and raised in Stratford-upon-Avon, England
– Wrote 154 sonnets and 38 plays
– Renaissance literature reached its peak in his works.
1. Emphasis on physical world.
2. Supported by secular patrons.
3. Artists wanted to be well known.
4. Realistic 3-dimensional feel
5. Important secular people painted.
6. Painting and sculpting is the focus.
What are the 6 themes of Renaissance Art?
1. Giotto di Bondone
3. Sandro Botticelli
Name the early Italian painters?
Giotto di Bondone
– Father of Renaissance Painting
– His paintings contained a more realistic portrayal of people and scenes.
– Most famous for his frescoes (paintings on wet plaster).
– Never mastered the technique of perspective (3-dimensional appearance on a flat surface)
Masaccio (Tommaso Guidi)
By means of shading (contrasting light and dark), he created a 3-dimensional effect in his paintings
Added movement to Renaissance art
During this period, the center of culture was Rome and the papacy became the major patron.
This essay was written by a fellow student. You may use it as a guide or sample for
writing your own paper, but remember to
cite it correctly. Don’t
submit it as your own as it will be considered plagiarism.
Need custom essay sample written special for your assignment?
Choose skilled expert on your subject and get original paper with free plagiarism report