Design Outline Introduction The houses of the 19th century were considered as out modeled and poorly decorated.
1 . The main idea for a family home in the 19th century was an opened floor plan.
2. The main floor of a Victorian house included the porch, living room, and a dining kitchen.
3. Before the 19th century each room served its own purpose, such as a parlor, library, and
4. The number of sitting rooms. Bedrooms upstairs decreased because it was the new trend to have smaller families. The more smaller rooms you had in your house the warmer it would stay.
B. During the 19th century rooms were decorated and painted in bold colors with wooden floors.
1 . Windows no longer carried long drapes that came down to the floor.
2. Bookshelves and wardrobes were then being built in.
3. This left the floor nice and clear for rearrangement of furniture and to hold various activities.
4. In Mission Style homes wood furniture was suited best by complimenting the home.
5. The wooden furniture was also most affordable to the middle class and less fortunate.
6. The furniture lacked in comfort so people had to add throw pillows to the seats, and backs of the chairs, but the furniture did make up in durability.
7. This furniture was also used in schools, because of their durability.
B. -continued- The art Nouveau Style of decoration was much more expensive so it was often found in the homes of the wealthy.
1. The designer of the furniture was the son of the most popular American Jeweler and silversmith.
2. The designers name was Louis Comfort Tiffany.
3. The decorative age “American Renaissance” took over in 1875, Louis C. Tiffany was a large factor in this takeover, with expensive taste.
5. Tiffany studied at New York City’s National Academy of Arts and design.
6. Tiffany became an interior designer, who specialized in tiles, wall hangings, murals, and stained glass.
7. His Job was to give character and personality to Victorian mansions, theaters, and churches.
8. Tiffany was very well paid.
9. His name soon became known as the biggest name in design and decoration.
10. The Tiffany were a father and son group.
11. The father (Charles Lewis Tiffany) owned Tiffany . C.
For building the buildings during this time period they made the transition from iron frame to steel frame in 1880.
1 . During this time architects wanted to expand their creations so they started making the buildings taller.
2. In Chicago the first skyscraper was built.
3. The definition off skyscraper to an architect is ” a metal frame building at least one-hundred feet tall. “
4. The home insurance building was the worlds first skyscraper, with only 12 stories.
5. Compared to the buildings now this nothing.
6. The Home Insurance Building was demolished in 1884.