As we all know that Cybercrime has been one of the common practices made by the computer expert. The Computers have unleashed an era of enhanced productivity and creativity. Communication and Connectedness has seen new heights in the last two decades. Internet has ushered a new revolution. Being one of the most rapidly expanding sector, internet has become one of the most vital part of our life from work to entertainment there’s no other option now but it comes with a price of our privacy.
Cyber Crimes are also on the rapid expansion causing our sensitive data to be used without our permission. Governments are aware of this matter doing everything they can to secure our networks but many say security is just an illusion. In this paper I have mentioned some of the impact of the cybercrime. Cybercrime is that activities made by the people for destroying organization network stealing others valuable data, documents, hacking bank account and transferring money to their own and so on. Cyber Crime is emerging as serious threat. To the world of computer technology, governments, police and intelligence units are acting toward the issue closely. Different Strategies are put into action. The effort is done to educate people and to expose them to the cyber world without security. My paper gives detailed information regarding cybercrime, its types, modes of cybercrime and security measures including prevention to deal effectively with cybercrime. Finally I will go for the research on the crime made by the misuse of cybercrime in some of the field and areas like in financial crimes, Cyber pornography, Online gambling, Intellectual Property crimes, Forgery, Cyber Defamation, Cyber Stalking, Email Spoofing, Email bombing, Salami Attacks, Virus/Worm attacks, Web Jacking, Data diddling etc. and also try to find which type of cybercrime is most practice in the world and finally I will get the main objective of my term paper. Like this my term paper will be complete.
Keyword: Cyber Crime, Phishing and Hacking, Internet Technology, Piracy, Software, Cyber Security, Information.
The internet in India is growing rapidly. It has given rise to new opportunities in every field we can think of be it entertainment, business, sports or education. There are two sides to a coin. Internet also has its own disadvantages is Cyber Crime-illegal activity committed on the internet. Cyber Crimes are criminal offenses committed via the internet or otherwise aided by various forms of computer technology such as the use of online social network to bully others or sending sexually explicit digital photos with smart phone. Cybercrime is a type of crime or an illegal activity that is basically committed through a computer with the help of networking for eg. Internet Fraud, Spams, Gathering Information Illegally, Identity theft, Phishing Scams, Hate Crimes.
History of Cyber Crime
Cybercrime first started with hackers trying to break into computer networks. Some did it just for the thrill of accessing high-level security networks, but others sought to gain sensitive, classified material. Eventually, criminal started to infect computer systems with computer viruses, which led to breakdowns on personal and business computers.
- The first recorded cyber crime took place in the year 1820.
- The First Spam Email took place in 1978 when it was sent over the Arpanet.
- The First VIRUS was installed on an Apple Computer in 1982.
- Travelling documents of NATO forces were hacked in Afghanistan.
- Denial of Services (DOS) attacks by ‘Mafia Boy’ on ebay, Yahoo! And other poplar sites (2000)
- FBI’s e-mail system is hacked (Feb,2005).
- Swedish bank Nordea was hit with possibly the biggest internet fraud in history.
Categories of Cyber Crime
Cyber Crime is a generic term that refers to all criminal activities done using the medium of communication devices, computers, mobile phones, tablets etc. It can be categorised in following ways:-
- The computer as a target :- Attacking the computers of others.
- The computer as an accessory :- Using a computer as a “fancy filing cabinet” to store illegal or stolen information.
- The Computer as a Weapon:- Using a computer to commit “traditional Crime” that we see in the physical world.
- Individual:- This type of cyber crime can be in the form of cyber stalking, distributing pornography, trafficking and “grooming”.
- Property:- Can steal a person’s bank details and siphon off money; misuse the credit card to make numerous purchases online; run a scam to get naïve people to part with their hard earned money; use malicious software to gain access to an organization’s website or disrupt the systems of the organization.
- Cyber piracy:- Using cyber technology in unauthorized ways to:- Reproduce copies of proprietary information, or Distribute proprietary information across a computer network.
- Cyber trespass:- Using cyber technology to gain or to exceed unauthorised access to :- An individual or an organization computer system or A password-protected web site.
- Cyber vandalism:- Using cyber technology to unleash one or more programs that:- Disrupt the transmission of electronic information across one or more computer networks, including the internet or Destroy data resident in a computer or damage a computer system’s resources or both.
Types of Cyber Crime
- HACKING:- Hacking means unauthorized attempts to bypass the security mechanisms of an information system or network. Also in simple words Hacking is the unauthorized access to a computer system, programs, data and network resources. Hacking is simple term means an illegal instruction into a computer systems and network. It is also knows as Cracking.
- DATA THEFT :- If any person without permission of the owner or any other person, who is in charge of a computer, computer system of computer network- downloads, copies, or extracts any data, computer data base or information or data held or stored in any removable storage medium, then it is data theft.
- SPREADING VIRUS OR WORMS:- The virus will install files on your system and then will change your system so that virus program is run every time you start your system. It will then attempt to replicate itself by sending itself to others.
- PHISHING:- It is a Scam to steal your online username and password. Phishing attacks work by tricking you into entering your username and password at a fake site that looks like your bank, your broker or employer.
- MALWARE:- Malware can redirect your browser to a phishing site when you try to go to your bank site, or even let someone remotely hijack your computer.
- SPYWARE:- It is an program where someone sneaks on to your computer. They can do ranges from really annoying, like feeding you a steady stream of advertisement, to very dangerous, like stealing your account numbers, user names and or passwords as you type them in called key logging.
- E-Mail Bombing:- E-Mail bombing refers to sending a large amount of e-mails to the victim resulting in interruption in the victims e-mail account or mail servers.
- Data Diddling :- This kind of an attack involves altering the raw data just before it is processed by a computer and then changing it back after the processing is completed.
- Salami Attacks:- These attacks are used for the commission of financial crimes. The key here is to make the alteration so insignificant that in a single case it would go completely unnoticed e.g. A bank employee inserts a program into bank’s servers, that deducts a small amount from the account of every customer.
- Denial of Services Attack:- This involves flooding computer resources with more requests than it can handle. This causes the resources to crash thereby denying authorized users the service offered by the resources.
- Cyber Defamation:- India’s first case of cyber defamation was reported when a company’s employee started sending derogatory, defamatory and obscene e-mails about its Managing Director. The e-mails were anonymous and frequent, and were sent to many of their business associated to tarnish the image and goodwill of the company, later he was identified and accordingly penalized.
- Cyber Stalking:- Cyber stalking involves following a person’s movement’s across the internet by posting messages on the bulletin boards frequented by the victim, entering the chat-rooms and constantly bombarding the victim with e-mails etc.
- CHILD PORNOGRAPHY:- The internet is being highly used by its abusers to reach and abuse children sexually, worldwide. As more homes have access to internet, more children would be using the internet and more are the chances of falling victim to the aggression of pedophiles.
- COMPUTER VANDALISM:- Damaging or destroying data rather than stealing or misusing them is called cyber vandalism. These are program that attach themselves to a file and them circulate.
- VIRUS DISSMINITION:- Malicious software that attaches itself to other software. Virus, Worms, Trojan Horse.
- CYBER PROTECTION :- Cyber protection involves protection of sensitive personal and business information through prevention, detection and response to different online attacks.
- SOFTWARE UP TO DATE:- Use good password which will be difficult for thieves to guess. Do not choose option that allows your computer to remember your passwords.
- PRIVACY PROTECTION POLICY:- Before submitting your e-mail, address, name on a website look for the site protection policy.
- BENEFITS OF SYBER SECURITY:-
- It will defend us from hacks and virus. It helps us to browse the safe website.
- The security developers will update their database every week once. Hence the new virus also detected.
- The application of cyber security used in our PC needs update every week.
- Internet Security process all of the incoming and outgoing data on our computer.
Prevention to Cyber Crime
- One must avoid disclosing any personal information to strangers via e-mail or while chatting or any social networking site.
- U must avoid sending any photo to strangers by online as misusing or modification of photo incidents increasing day by day.
- Updated Anti-virus software to guard against virus attacks should be used by all the netizens.
- A person should never send our credit ro debit card number to any site is not secured, to guard against frauds.
- Insert firewalls and Use antivirus software’s.
- Uninstall Unnecessary Software.
- Check Security settings and Stay anonymous – choose a genderless screen name.
- Always learn or check more about internet privacy.
Cyber Law of India
- The primary purpose of the Act is to provide legal recognition to electronic commerce and to facilitate filing of electronic records with the Government.
- Information Technology Act 2000 consisted of 94 sections segregated into 13 chapters.
- Four Schedules from part of the Act.
- The abuse of computer has also given birth of new age Crime that are addresses by the IT Act 2000.
- Whoever commits hacking shall be punished with imprisonment up to three years, or with fine which may extend up to two lakh rupees, or with both together.
As we can see that there where so many cyber-crimes happening India before the amendment of information technology act the rate of crime have not stopped nor it have come down but it is reaching its high.
We have try to find out various reasons that despite of such a tight act and high penalties and punishments what are the lope holes in the act which is blocking the proper implementation of such a force full act.