What is the French meaning of the word renaissance? How do historians use the word?
Renaissance means rebirth. Historians use the word to describe the rebirth of widespread interest in classical art and learning that took place in Europe.
What changes during the late Middle Ages pave the way for the renaissance?
Trade and commerce. Humanism. The growth of the city states.
Describe the believes of humanists.
• believed in the world and potential of all individuals
• balanced religious faith with believe in the power of the mind
• interest in human society and the natural world
• Believe people should use their minds for questioning
What led to the rediscovery of Greek and Roman culture? Explain.
Merchants and Crusaders brought back goods and ideas from the east, including classical learning
Identify three characteristics of classical art.
• Artist valued balance and harmony
• figures were lifelike but often idealized or more perfect than real life
• figures were nude or draped in togas or robes
• bodies looked active and motion was believable
Identify three characteristics of medieval art
• figures looked stiff with little sense of movement
• figures were fully dressed in stiff looking clothing
• faces were serious and showed little expression
• painted figures looked two dimensional or flat
This essay was written by a fellow student. You may use it as a guide or sample for
writing your own paper, but remember to
cite it correctly. Don’t
submit it as your own as it will be considered plagiarism.
Need custom essay sample written special for your assignment?
Choose skilled expert on your subject and get original paper with free plagiarism report